Preschool Storytime- Music

Today was my first storytime since the library reopened. Yay! We're doing the collaborative summer reading program, so the theme is "Libraries Rock!" I decided to start the summer off by doing a music-themed preschool storytime.

The Books:




Violet's Music by Angela Johnson
 This was a little long for preschool, but I liked that it included a variety of instruments. The kids enjoyed making the music sounds along with me.





The Bear and the Piano by David Litchfield
Ok, so this one was also a little long but the kids really liked it. It's beautifully illustrated and seemed to really pull them in. This one isn't so much about the music, but about staying true to your roots.



Spunky Little Monkey by Bill Martin Jr. and Michael Sampson
I love this book! I've used it for a monkey storytime, so I didn't hesitate to use it again. It's really great for illustrating rhythm and the kids had a blast moving along with the story.







The Songs:

Do Rei Me from the Sound of Music
Luckily a lot of the moms knew this one too and we all sang it in a group with hand gestures.

The Finger Band is Coming to Town (Source: Jbrary)

Mi Cuerpo Hace Musica (Source: Jbrary)

The Monkey Dance by The Wiggles

We also did three rhythm stick songs, which I will post at another time.

The Craft:


I found a simple boom box clipart image and used that as my template. I used a circle die-cut to make the speakers and label stickers for the buttons. Even though I'm sure most of these kids didn't know what a boom box was, they still seemed to like it.

How it Went:

Overall, I think it went pretty well. I was a little rusty since I haven't done a storytime in a couple of months. Like I said, the books were a little long but I just couldn't find other music-themed books that I really liked (that we had checked in anyway). If I do this theme again (not in the summer!), I'd like to put out of some the instruments we have and encourage free play.

Comments